Information for Physicians
The Northern Alberta Endocrine Surgery Centre specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of complex thyroid cancer cases as well as inherited or familial endocrine diseases, such as multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN). We also do minimally invasive parathyroid surgery. Our group is supported by an active research program and both doctors are well-published nationally and internationally. Dr. McMullen performs laparoscopic adrenal surgery and treats both malignant and benign disease as well as neuroendocrine tumours.
Read more about our surgeons here:
Referrals to the Centre should be made using this form: Endocrine Surgery Referral Form
Once the patient’s information has been reviewed and an appointment has been scheduled, our office will notify the referring physician’s office. The referring office is responsible for notifying the patient of this surgical date. Average waiting time for non-urgent referrals is 12 months.
If you would like to receive updates on endocrine research and treatment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “physician newsletter” in the subject line.
Diseases Treated at the Northern Alberta Endocrine Surgery Centre
- Thyroid Cancer, including:
- Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid disease in radiation-exposed individuals (including childhood cancer survivors)
- Multinodal goiter
- Hyperthyroidism, including:
- Primary hyperparathyroidism
- Renal (secondary and tertiary) hyperparathyroidism
- Persistent and recurrent hyperparathyroidism
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Primary hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome or aldosteronoma)
- Incidentally discovered adrenal masses (adrenal ‘incidentalomas’)
- Adrenocortical carcinoma
- Isolated adrenal metastases
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN-1, MEN-2A, MEN-2B)
- Familial pheochromocytoma/panganglioma syndromes